Thursday, September 2, 2010

Filled with Power

Today's Bible Passage: Micah 3

Scripture: "But as for me, I am filled with power and the Spirit of the Lord. I am filled with justice and might, fearlessly pointing out Israel's sin and rebellion" (Micah 3:8).

Observation
Micah compares himself to the false prophets and other religious leaders of his time who didn't know right from wrong, hated good and loved evil, treated God as a magic Jeannie, were leading people astray, took advantage of their leadership positions to make money, hated real justice, twisted all that was right, led the people for the bribes they could get, taught the people only for money, and yet claimed they depended on the Lord. Yeah, they were messed up!

Micah, however, was a leader after God's own heart. He led not for what he could get out of it, but out of God's calling on his life. He led out of God's power within him by the indwelling of the Spirit of the Lord, not out of his own limited power, wisdom, or abilities.

Verse 8 brings to mind many other Bible verses, but especially Zechariah 4:6: "'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty."

It also brings to mind the leaders of the early church. In Acts 1:8, Jesus promised power when the Holy Spirit came upon them so that they could be his witnesses from Jerusalem to the whole world. That promise came true in Acts 2:4 when the apostles were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to boldly proclaim the truth. And it continued as these leaders stayed true to their calling regardless of the circumstances: "[The religious leaders] brought in the two disciples and demanded, 'By what power, or in whose name, have you done this?' Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them ..." (Acts 4:7-8).

The early church leaders knew where their power came from. They knew they could do nothing of any significance apart from Jesus and his Spirit (John 15:5). This is why they were so committed to prayer. Prayer is our "power cord." Prayer is way more powerful than we understand, but the early church knew this: "After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly" (Acts 4:31).

Application
The power behind, or actually within all true spiritual leadership comes from God's Spirit. We tend to too easily forget this and rely on our own human strength and abilities instead, and we wonder why we are not more effective. The answer is not outside ourselves, it is inside, through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit.

"As for me, I am filled with the Spirit of the Lord!" That must become my mantra, my constant prayer. Not by my own might or power or abilities, but by the power of his Spirit ... in all I do. As I lead my family, as I lead my group, as I lead in my church, I will seek his wisdom, direction, and power.

Prayer
Thank, you, Father, for your power. You have filled me with power and your Spirit. I am filled with justice and might. By your power I can be fearless and bold to be your witness, to speak your word, to carry out what you have called me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!