Friday, March 12, 2010

Time with My Friend

A friend is someone I will make time for. If someone offers friendship to me, it's a rare privilege, but if I do not make time to be with him, we are not friends. Moses understood this.

"The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend."
- Exodus 33:11

This is the kind of relationship with God I desire, that he would talk with me "as a man speaks to his friend." In Moses' time this was a very rare privilege that was unavailable to the rest of the Israelites. But today this kind of relationship is accessible because of Jesus. He called his followers (and that includes you and me)  his "friends" (John 15:15).

 Moses pleaded with God to not give up on his people but to continue to personally go with them on their journey. God reassured Moses, "you have found favor with me, and you are my friend" (Ex. 33:17).

I have favor with God and I am his friend, not because of anything great I have done, but because Jesus has made it accessible to me--and you. Both Moses and Jesus modeled this friendship with God by spending time with him, abiding with him.

As someone who desires to be a leader after God's own heart, friendship with God is available to me--what a privilege! My response is to to stop from my busyness, rest, abide, hang out with God for awhile today, spend time with my friend. That's what I'm going to do. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!